Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wallpaper...

Its spring break. We are not laying on a beach.

However, I am trying my best to distract myself and refrain from wallowing in vacationless-spring-break-self-pity by taking advantage of these nights sans night class and get some things done in our house that I can't do when my time is devoted to staring at a textbook.

We live in a little farm style house in the Island. We LOVE it. However, the home is not ours and the overwhelming majority of walls in the house are a lovely shade of stark white. As a result, I am constantly looking for landlord approved ways to make the place interesting when we can't paint, re-do, or alter anything.

So...in one of my many google-quests for removable/reversible decorating ideas for our house, I discovered the directions for homemade fabric wallpaper, so I tried it.

Here is what you need:

Photobucket

-Lightweight fabric
-Liquid Starch
-Sponge or Paint Roller
-Container to pour starch into
-Not pictured: Patient husband who allows you to follow through on your harebrained decorating schemes

Just measure your fabric to match the wall, cut it, pour your starch into your bucket,
dip your sponge in it, then start wiping the walls with it.

Photobucket

Smooth the fabric against the starch coated wall, brushing and smoothing it to get out any bumps, then wet your sponge again and go over the top of the fabric with the starch. Mine stuck immediately to the wall, but if yours doesn't, you can tack or tape the fabric so it will stay in place until it is dry. Then just wait for it to dry.

To remove, all you have to do is soak the fabric with water and it will peel off.

Before:
Photobucket

After:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Before:
Photobucket

After:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like it, it wasn't hard, and there is a little less white in our little house.
Happy Spring Break/Home-Makeover-No-Vacation-Distraction-Week to you and yours.
Hope its a great one!

24 comments:

Julie said...

tres cool and I love that fabric!

Caroline said...

That's so cute! I love the look of wallpaper, but even though my boyfriend owns our house, I'm reluctant to hang any because I'm afraid it will look dated too quickly or future buyers won't like it and it'll be a pain to take down. I definitely going to give this a try!!

Devin & Kailie said...

It's very cute, and you have a very cosy looking home! You are so talented...you inspire me!

Meet Virginia said...

This turned out GREAT!!! Can we be bff's again? And can you move into our apartments...? PLEASE!!!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I love this and have always wanted to try a wall of fabric & starch. I've seen this one on some old HGTV shows & it looks easy. Great job, it's beautiful fabric too!

amy grace said...

love this! how does the fabric hold up to splashes/cooking?

shea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said...

Amazing idea!!!!! I may have to try this in my own apartment.

~april said...

growing up we always had a fabric wall in our kitchen. it was one large wall so my mom used a sheet. o think it was only changed 2x our entire time in that house (over 20 yrs). she staple gunned it to the wall and you could not see the staples! what else can you expect from a seamstress mom!? yours i MUCH more stylin'. ours were flower patterns. what a great job you did!

Amy Hadley said...

I'm so excited to see this done! I've heard about using starch to "fabric" your walls, but was doubtful it would work. I just re-re-painted my kitchen white (when in doubt), and it could use a punch of color. Color me inspired. Thx!!!

the mama monster said...

i found you blog through a link party. i have been wanting to try this very same thing. we have horrid textured walls and i think fabric would be easier than wallpaper to apply. also i noticed you live in logan. my husband and i went to usu! we looooooove logan. if there was any way possible for us to live there we would in a heartbeat!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) said...

That looks great! Now, here's my question: can you remove it? I've read that it is quite easy to remove, but don't want to start pasting fabric on my apartment walls that I can't get off when we leave!

Christi said...

I cannot find liquid starch anywhere. Where did you find Sta-Flo? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jenia said...

I did this same thing, and actually used your directions! thanks for posting your steps.

I also had the same problem as Christi - I couldn't find the liquid starch, so I did some research and regular corn starch worked just as well for me. I used: 1/4 cup powder corn starch, 1/2 cup cold water, plus 2 cups of boiling water.

www.victorianinbloom.com

Jan said...

I love this idea, and want to try it out. I had just one question. How did you finish the edges to prevent them from fraying? Now that I saw your wall, I have SO many different ideas floating through my head!!! Thanks!

Sudha - Art Admirer said...

Awesome,I love this idea.

Darcy said...

I LOVE IT! Thank you so much for posting this. I love the fabric you chose. And I love that it will come off easily later on. Beautiful!

- Kim said...

LOVE this. I'm going to have to try this in my kitchen. Thanks for posting. :)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Super neat idea, your kitchen looks just wonderful!
Rondell

Ribbons and Pigtails said...

Have I been under a rock my whole life and never heard of this before?!!?? I love the look of wallpaper, but have always been afraid of perhaps having to take it down some day...so this is perfect!! Laundry room, HERE I COME!! Thanks!

AECDesigns said...

Does anyone know how well this works on plaster walls? I know plaster is a little more porous, and being a rental...I don't want to end up with discolorations.
Thanks!

Haidee said...

This is an old post, but I wondered if this method attracted bugs? Bugs love starch...

Kristen Steiner said...

Does it hold up well being in the kitchen? Do you think I could do it over tile?

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing

 

blogger templates